.

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Paper Rolling


Happy 4th of July! I created this layout for the Independence Challenge that starts next week over on the challenge blog and have a couple tips and techniques to share with you today. I'm going to turn 30 in January (yikes!) so I thought over the past decade of my life and jotted down a list of things that truly showed me gaining independence. I'm excited to see what my 30s will bring and it's amazing how much I accomplished and struggled during my 20s. I used the bright, fun Sun-Kissed kit to create this layout:


I placed the Jenni Bowlin butterfly rub-on on vellum and cut it out. I love the look this gives the butterfly as it allowed it to somewhat "flutter" off the page. :)


Here's a look at part of my title...the Cosmo Cricket chipboard alphabet was from my stash but the journaling block and flower are both in the kit.


I used a Maya Road kraft envelope to hide my journaling and dressed it up a little with a glittered flower, button and twine.


Here's a look at my journaling using one of the Echo Park journaling blocks...


And here's a tutorial for you on rolling patterned paper...First, I selected four different papers to work with. I wanted them to have some pattern to them but not have a lot of extra color. In my particular design, I wanted them to basically be monochromatic.


I cut the paper to 2" squares and cut 3 squares from each paper.


Next, I started rolling the paper from one end. You could always roll around something but I just used my fingers to work with the paper.


At the edge of my paper roll, I placed three glue dots to hold the paper in place.


Here's what one roll looks like....


And here's my finished embellishment on my layout. I adhered them to the page with glue dots and wrapped a ribbon around them to help tie them together. 


That's it! A fairly simple technique to give some extra dimension and color. I think these would also be cute as birthday candles on a birthday layout. 

Enjoy your holiday weekend! :)

No comments: